Saturday, May 30, 2009

Study Abroad Day 1: 16 hours and 10 minutes...

...That's how long it took me to get from Atlanta to Tours. Just like everything else, I didn't take the easiest way to get here!

Yesterday was a long day: I went to bed somewhere around 2am, then got up at 6am to get the last minute things taken care of. In honor of a month sans bagels, I went on a field trip to Einsten Brothers for a chocolate chip bagel. Butler got permission to come, too, so he and I had a morning outing together. Einstein's has doggie bagels, so I indulged him, too. (Pics of his big ol' head out the back window are posted in Facebook). April graciously dropped me and my bazillion pound luggage at the Capitol before she went to work. Rita had offered to let me stash my stuff in her office until it was time for me to leave, so I took her up on the offer. We sat around and chatted for a couple hours, then I marched off to school for the last day of Maymester. After fidgeting in my chair for all of class, it was finally 3:00pm and I headed to the airport.

Do you know what the weight limit is on a single piece of luggage? 50 pounds. Do you know how much mine weighed? 50 pounds. No wonder I was winded from toting it all over downtown Atlanta. I ended up having to bring my computer with me to finish some final papers for my Maymester history course, so that plus all its accoutrements added to my poundage. Needless to say, I overpacked. Once I unpack and arrange my clothes, I'll probably fill up the entire wardrobe in my room.... :: typical girl:: (photo is trying to show my blisters)

From Brussels I had to take a train to Paris, to Gare du Nord. From there, I had to take the metro to Gare Austerlitz to catch my train to Tours (not complicated at all, is it?) Despite all the train hopping, the day went quite smoothly: I neither missed a train nor took the wrong train. I baffles me that I can travel so well across thousands of miles, yet can't figure out Sidney Marcus Boulevard.

Dr. Braunrot and M. Antier met me at the Tours Gare, and we waited for two other students, who eventually got here on another train. M. & Mme. Antier live not too far from the Gare, so we walked over here. Poor M. Antier insisted upon toting my suitcase. He did, however, leave it at the first floor for me to take up later. The three of us seated ourselves at the dining room table and chatted for a few minutes, then Shalomie- a fellow student- and Mme. Antier joined us. The Antiers are just the most fun people! I was very well-placed.

Shalomie and I decided to go for a stroll, first to FNAC to purchase some of my books, then for a brisk walk along the Loire river. We returned later to the house and Benjamin, the third and final GSU student to reside here at 4, rue Balzac had arrived. There is also another student here, not from our program, Valerie. The Antiers had dinner for us a few minutes later: M. Antier traditionally cooks spaghetti on Saturday nights, so that was dinner. Our dessert was a wonderful caramel creme for dessert (a WAY better version of flan). Conversation was good; we are all a little shy about using our French, but it went well.

We're all sitting in our own version of internet cafe in our little breakfast nook.

Now it's off to work on my papers and final exams for Maymester...and unpack!!





No comments: